Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Things I'm doing during taper

1.) During my last long ride, I had two mechanical issues. One was a chain problem. It took me about 10 minutes to get that one fixed, but I got it. Immediately after that, I could feel my rear brake rubbing. I stopped a few times to mess with it. There was nothing I could really do while on the ride, so I finished the ride. I called the bike shop. He gave me a few things to try. (He knows I'm racing Boulder. I know they were probably swamp with last minute issues, so I wanted to avoid being that triathlete.) The tricks didn't work. Off to the bike shop, we go. When he took it apart, he said, "You did everything right. We have a problem. We can do a temporary fix to get you through Boulder. Long term, we need to upgrade the braking system." Option 2, thankyewverymuch. I mean. It's brakes. I don't really want to do a band aid approach. That qualifies as an emergency, right? Two days later, Black Betty is rolling once again.

2.) Change the battery in my power meter. I can't tell you how many times I've showed up to a race only to find the battery died. (I also bring them with me in case someone else has that problem. Call me generous. You better do it).

3.) Heading back to the bike shop because WHERE ON EARTH ARE MY 80MM TUBES AND CARTRIDGE THING-MA-DEAL? I swear, I don't know what I did at the end of last season. I can't find anything.

4.) Telling people over and over, "I just need to get through this week. I promise. I will get to it next week. Right now, I can't take on anything more".

5.) Trying on my NEW wetsuit. Ok. I know. Nothing new on race day. Technically, this is a few days before race day. Regular readers know that I've lost a lot of weight. It's a lot. Last week, Mr. Tea says, "I wonder how your wetsuit is going to fit".

That sent me scrambling. I go into the closet and start flinging things all over the place. For no reason, my wetsuit is hanging right there. I look at the size and run to the computer.

My wetsuit is 3 sizes too big. 


Liz has the most amazing discounts for her athletes. I hit up the Roka website. Fortunately, they have my size in stock. I ordered it. I did rush shipping and begged and pleaded through email that someone contact me if the suit wouldn't arrive in time.

I never heard from them.

I waited and waited. Then, I started hoping the swim wouldn't be wetsuit legal, so I could wear my swimskin.

I got home from masters today. The wetsuit arrived. It's here!

Other than last minute wardrobe decisions, which I had to change.....and meeting with Dina to go through every single detail about my nutrition for this week, specifically Friday and Saturday, I'm about as ready as I can be.

Can we do this thing now?