Friday, September 24, 2010

Front Back Side to Side

Isn't it funny how one small change or one small action can change your day, week or month.

In my case, it was several unlikely variables that came together.

I went running yesterday.

3 miles (which was a change of plans)
in the afternoon (which was a change of plans)
on a different route (which was also a change of plans)
in windy conditions (which was unexpected)
without bringing a cell phone (which was not normal behavior on my part)

On the return, I noticed a large truck in my path. As I got closer, I realized that it was a landscaping truck. 

At that moment, the thought registered "Why is that landscaping truck here? There's nothing but weeds"

As I approached, I had a decision to make: Do I stay on my path and run next to the truck or do I step out into oncoming traffic?

With multiple cars heading toward me, I realized that I couldn't safely run in the road.

With caution, I approached the truck. It was quiet, and I started thinking that the landscapers had simply stopped to have lunch.

Just as I ran next to the truck a landscaper on a giant lawnmower type of machine (used to chop down weeds) pulled out directly in front of me. I gave a little scream and jumped to my right. The driver misses me by centimeters. 

As soon as I left my feet, I knew it was going to end badly.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion. I hear the driver cut the engine as my foot lands in a hole and I feel my body go slamming into the ground. My right knee skids across the ground. I can feel the stinging of blood running down. My hands slam to the ground and then my left knee.

I end up laying sideways on the ground not really knowing what just happened.
Then everything started hurting. My knee is stinging. My ankle is swelling up quickly. Likewise my left knee is blowing up. The palms of my hands are scraped and bruised. My left side just hurts.

I look like I was just hit by a car instead of barely missing a tractor. 

That's when I realized that I was 1.25 miles from home.

Then I realize that I didn't bring my cell phone with me.

I noticed the landscapers staring at me but not moving.

I stood up and almost collapsed from the pain in my ankle. I looked at it and did some motion tests. I knew it wasn't broken. I knew that I needed to get off my ankle.
I remembered Mr. Tea saying that he would be leaving work early. 

I look at my watch. If he left on time, he should be driving by here within the next 15 minutes.

I started the zombie walk home. 


15 minutes passed, 20, 25, 30. No Mr. Tea.

I make the long painful walk home amazed that not one car stopped, even to see if I was ok. Blood running down my leg, one knee really swollen & limping wasn't enough to stop anyone. 

Maybe I really did look like a zombie.

Once home, as much as I wanted to sit, I had to get myself cleaned up. I checked my cell phone. 1 message. It's from Mr. Tea. "I'm leaving late, be home soon."

For the rest of the day, I have my foot elevated & iced & bandaged. Today, the same thing with rehab exercises thrown in: writing the alphabet, stretching the calf, singing the song from the Kia Soul commercial: front, back, side to side, front front back back side to side.

I can't help but think about how lucky I was. My ankle is sprained, but it's not broken. I've know other women who have taken lesser falls and broken bones: ankles, hip, legs. 

I regularly do core work, balance exercises & strength training. As violent as the fall was, I can't help but think how lucky I was that I didn't sustain more injuries. 

I think it's because of the balance work, the core work. Accidents happen. They can't all be prevented because of strength training and flexibility, but they can be less harmful. 

I'm out of commission for a little while, but I feel so lucky that it's not for weeks or months.